Volvo 850 computer relearn procedures
Volvo 850, S70, C70 & V70 service & repair manual
COMPUTER RELEARN PROCEDURES
1995 Volvo 850
Computer Relearn Procedures
* PLEASE READ THIS FIRST *
The following general procedures are to be used if driveability problems are encountered after power loss or battery has been disconnected. These procedures may provide an aid in eliminating these problems.
To reduce the possibility of complaints, after any service which requires battery power to be disconnected, vehicle should be road tested.
COMPUTER RELEARN PROCEDURES
Vehicles equipped with engine or transmission computers may require a relearn procedure after vehicle battery is disconnected. Many vehicle computers memorize and store vehicle operation patterns for optimum driveability and performance. When vehicle battery is disconnected, this memory is lost. The computer will use default data until new data from each key start is stored. As computer memorizes vehicle operation for each new key start, driveability is restored. Vehicle computers may memorize vehicles operation patterns for 40 of more key starts.
Customers often complain of driveability problems during relearn stage because vehicle acts differently then before being serviced. Depending on type and make of vehicle and how it is equipped, the following complaints (driveability problems) may exist:
* Harsh Or Poor Shift Quality
* Rough Or Unstable Idle
* Hesitation Or Stumble
* Rich Or Lean Running
* Poor Fuel Mileage
These symptoms and complaints should disappear after a number of drive cycles have been memorized. To reduce the possibility of complaints, after any service which requires battery power to be disconnected, vehicle should be road tested. If a specific relearn procedure is not available, the following procedure may be used:
* Set parking brake, start engine in “P” or “N” position.
Warm-up vehicle to normal operating temperature or until cooling fan cycles.
* Allow vehicle to idle for one minute in “N” position. Select
“D” and allow engine to idle for one minute.
* Accelerate at normal throttle position (20-50%) until vehicle shifts into top gear.
* Cruise at light to medium throttle.
* Decelerate to a stop, allowing vehicle to downshift, and use brakes normally.
* Process may be repeated as necessary.
* Place transmission in Neutral position.
* Ensure emergency brake has been set and all accessories are turned off.
* Start engine and bring to normal operating temperature.
* Allow vehicle to idle in Neutral for one minute.
* Initial relearn is complete: process will be completed during normal driving.
Some manufacturers identify a specific relearn procedure which will help establish suitable driveability during relearn stage. These procedures are especially important if vehicle is equipped with and electronically controlled automatic transmission or transaxle. Always complete procedure before returning vehicle to customer.
Disclaimer: Volvotips has the exclusive courtesy of Volvo Car Corporation and Volvo Cars Heritage to publish the Volvo Greenbooks (service manual), parts catalogs and other Volvo-material and publications. Commercial use and publishing at other websites of these items is prohibited.