Today Volvo and Polestar introduced the new Volvo V60 Polestar. In my opinion it’s very cool Volvo has now a really fast estate car, and as a special model. Just like the 850 T-5R was. Polestar says the V60 Polestar is to celebrate the Volvo-heritage of fast stationwagons like the 850 BTCC. Just like the legendary 850 T-5R the V60 Polestar will be a limited edition. It means the V60 Polestar will be actually for sale!
The V60 Polestar will be a production version
Good news for all Volvo fans that want to buy a S60 or V60 Polestar: the S60 Polestar and V60 Polestar will be sold in USA, Canada, Japan, Sweden, the Netherlands, UK and Switzerland. Other countries will be announced later (it’s pretty strange the car will not be immediately available in Germany or France). The production number will be determined later. It was not the intention of Volvo taking the S60 Polestar in production earlier this year, but by the deluge of positive reactions the S60 Polestar went for sale in Australia. The S60 and V60 Polestar will be available at the local dealer in June 2014.
Volvo V60 Polestar specifications
The V60 Polestar has a lot of modifications compared with the standard V60 T6. The chassis of the V60 has 80% stiffer springs (compared with the R-design version), custom made high performance Öhlins shock absorbers which gives the car a more stiff chassis. The V60 Polestar has 20” Polestar rims (with 245/35/20 tires). The brake system is also a lot better: 6-piston Brembo calipers and 371mm ventilated front discs will stop the car a lot quicker than the normal brakes.
The body of the car is also changed: a different front (with splitters), bodykit, diffusor and a special rear spoiler gives the V60 Polestar more downforce and a better airflow.
The T6 turbocharged engine is also modified by Polestar: the turbo is changed, just like the intercooler, which increases the power to 350HP (257KW) @ 5.700rpm. The V60 Polestar has 500nm torque (369lb-ft) at just 2.800rpm. The exhaust system is also changed: the V60 Polestar has a 2,5 inch stainless steel exhaust system. Compared with the S60 Polestar that was introduced earlier this year the V60 Polestar has an six-speed automatic transmission with paddle shift system. The V60 Polestar is an AWD-car: Polestar developed a Haldex four-wheel drivesystem specially for this car. The V60 Polestar just needs 4.9 seconds to get from 0 to 100km/h (0-60mph). The top speed is limited to 250km/h due European regulations. The interior is also modified by Polestar, with special details, new materials and Polestar colors on the steering wheel and seats.
Performance of the Volvo V60 Polestar
– acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h: 4.9 seconds
– acceleration 0-200 km/h: 17.7 seconds
– 80-120 km/h 4.7 seconds
– Top speed: 250 km/h / 155 mph (electronically limited due European regulations)
– 6 cylinder in-line 2953cc T6 engine
– 350 hp (257 kW) @ 5700 rpm
– 500 Nm (369 lb-ft) @ 2800-4750 rpm
– New twin-scroll Borg-Warner turbo
– New intercooler system
– custom-made Polestar 2.5” stainless full-flow exhaust system with twin 3.5” tail pipes
– Volvo S60 Polestar: 1752 kg
– Volvo V60 Polestar: 1822 kg
– The S60 & V60 Polestar cars are pretty heavy due the AWD-system
Transmission & drivetrain
– AWF21 automatic gearbox with paddle-shift system
– Polestar transmission calibration, resulting in faster gearshifts, launch control and curve-hold functionality
– Haldex calibration with Polestar-modification, resulting in more rear torque dynamic distribution
– calibrated stability control system, modified by Polestar
– Front: Polestar/Brembo 6 piston brake calipers and 371 x 32 mm ventilated and floating Brembo discs
– Rear: 302 x 22 mm Brembo ventilated discs
Source & more information: Nextpolestar.com
It seems the Volvo 850 T-5R and the 850R sports estate finally got the successor they deserved!
Volvo S60 & V60 Polestar image gallery
Click on the image for a larger view of the new Volvo S60 & V60 Polestar (will open in a new window/tab).